If you’ve ever dreamed of becoming a better singer, the good news is that you can improve your voice, whether you have natural talent or not. This is because the vocal apparatus is made up of muscles, and the more you develop the strength and agility of those muscles, the better your singing voice will become.
Of course, good technique comes into play too. With training in modern singing technique and vocal warmups, you can fast track the learning process, avoid common vocal problems, and see big results in as little as two to four weeks.
This post evaluates online singing lessons for beginners through advanced singers based on criteria like pricing, features, and student reviews. They include comprehensive courses, interactive video lessons, and singing apps that work like a video game.
Most of them are much less expensive than hiring a private voice coach, and you can do them from the comfort of home. (Although if you do have the budget and desire for private lessons, you’re in luck – since the pandemic, many instructors now give singing lessons on Zoom and Skype.)
Different singers have different goals and learning styles, so it’s a good idea to try out a few programs and choose the one that suits you best. Several of the following training programs offer free trials, so take advantage of them, and have fun!
What are the best online singing lessons for beginners?
- 30 Day Singer
- Singorama 2.0
- The Four Pillars Of Singing (The Vocalist Studio)
- Christina Aguilera’s Masterclass
- Yousician Singing
- Artistworks Vocal School
- eMedia Singing Method
- Singing Simplified: The Fast Track to Singing like a Pro (Udemy)
- Singing Made Easy: Complete Vocal Training System (Skillshare)
- Singing Lessons by Lari White (LinkedIn Learning)
30 Day Singer
30 Day Singer is a multiple-award-winning online video training program that helps you develop a more powerful and confident singing voice in just one lesson a day for 30 days.
The program is designed for singers of all skill levels, including people who don’t have a natural singing voice or are tone deaf.
- Dramatically improve your singing voice in 30 days step-by-step, easy-to-follow video tutorials – one lesson per day.
- Learn basic through advanced singing techniques from talented voice instructors such as Reagan James from The Voice and educators from Julliard and other top music schools.
- Optionally book 30- or 60-minute private Zoom lessons (via computer, phone, or tablet) with a private vocal coach for one-on-one help. You can book lessons one-off or at the same time each week.
- Learn different musical genres, including R&B, country, pop, and classical singing. Sing solo or in harmony.
- Develop vocal skills like pitch, intonation, phrasing, and tone. Avoid vocal strain, and develop better vocal strength.
- Ask questions or get advice and encouragement from instructors and other students in the online forum.
- Absolute beginners can start by choosing one of their beginner courses (male and female instructors available). Start with the very basics, such as vocal warmups and voice strengthening techniques, proper breath control, and extending your range.
- Intermediate and advanced singers can jump to the tutorials on belting, phrasing, vibrato, tone, performance skills, etc.
30 Day Singer offers online singing lessons for people who desire to become a dramatically better singer in a short period of time.
Check out the video gallery on their website to see real results from their students.
Singorama 2.0 is a downloadable interactive audio course that teaches advanced singing techniques for all levels. The course was created by vocal coach and singer Melanie Alexander.
Using the course, you’ll learn to sing at your own pace following simple step-by-step exercises. In as little as 15 minutes a day, you’ll train your voice and see big results in a week.
The website states, “The whole point of this program is to eliminate the thousands of dollars needed for a vocal coach. NOTHING has been left out.”
- Course materials include MP3 audio lessons and PDF workbooks.
- Download the course and keep it for life. Compatible with Mac and PC.
- Practice a range of vocal exercises, including vocal warm-ups, strengthening exercises, range extension, interval training, and relaxation.
- Add an octave or more onto your vocal range.
- Learn how to transition seamlessly from your “head voice” to your “chest voice.”
- Learn how to deal with performance anxiety and stage fright.
- Sing three complete songs (melody and harmony), and practice along with instrumental backing tracks.
- Course includes bonus software, including a Mini Recording Studio for recording yourself and tracking your progress, as well as software for perfecting your pitch.
- Learn music industry topics such as performance tips, auditions, and singing with a band.
- Suitable for ages 8 years and up.
Singorama 2.0 offers one of the best online singing courses for people who prefer to pay a one-time fee rather than subscribing on a monthly basis. The downloadable singing course provides comprehensive coverage of essential singing skills and vocal techniques at a low cost.
Check out the video demos on their site to see results from real students.
The Vocalist Studio
The Vocalist Studio, founded by voice coach Robert Lunte, offers one of the world’s most comprehensive online training programs for singing, called “The Four Pillars of Singing.”
Lunte guarantees that if you practice the materials in the course, you’ll notice dramatic results in two to six weeks.
His other most popular course, “Belting in the Head Voice,” teaches you how to make your high notes sound “huge, full, and boomy.”
A couple of other online singing courses offered on the TVS website include “Rock Singing Complete” and “Extreme Singing: Grit & Screaming.”
- 160 video lessons (over 24 hours of content) and 64 solo-piano audio vocal workouts, accessible via desktop or mobile.
- Downloadable training files.
- Get direct feedback on your singing with peer reviews.
- Strengthen your vocal cords and develop coordination through a series of vocal training techniques.
- Learn how to bridge registers with chest voice and head voice work.
- Create custom vocal workouts with Integrated Training Routines.
- Improve your vocal health and overcome vocal instability problems.
- Get full lifetime access to the online course for a one-time fee.
- Suitable for all skill levels. As Robert states on his website, “Anyone can learn to sing. It’s about hard work and practice.”
“The Four Pillars of Singing” is one of the world’s top-recommended online programs and includes comprehensive coverage of science-backed contemporary singing techniques.
If you follow the program and practice regularly for at least 30 minutes three to six times a week, Robert Lunte guarantees that within 14 days you’ll be able to sing much better (or your money back!).
MasterClass offers online video classes taught by celebrities and world-class artists in a variety of creative disciplines. They have several singing and songwriting-related classes, including:
Christina Aguilera Teaches Singing. In this masterclass Christina teaches her signature vocal techniques, as well as how to expand your vocal range and find your own voice. In over 3.5 hours of lessons, you’ll learn voice warm-ups, breath control, vibrato, and more advanced singing techniques such as growls.
Reba McEntire Teaches Country Music. In this online class you’ll learn Reba’s creative approach to making country music. She also discusses topics like performance techniques, the music industry, and building a music career.
In addition to the above online singing classes, MasterClass also offers online songwriting classes taught by Mariah Carey, Alicia Keys, and St. Vincent.
- Get streaming access to all 150+ master classes with your subscription.
- Each class contains about 20 lessons of 10 minutes each and a downloadable instructor guide.
- Enjoy lessons on desktop, mobile device, or TV.
- Active online community.
- Membership includes access to MasterClass Sessions, where you follow a structured 30-day curriculum, work on real projects, and share your work with other students and teaching assistants in the online community.
- Download video lessons and watch offline (select plans).
MasterClass is one of the only places online where you’ll have the opportunity to learn advanced techniques from greats like Christina Aguilera, making it a great fit for intermediate and advanced singers looking to take their singing skills to the next level.
Although the classes are designed for all skill levels, each masterclass is more of an in-depth workshop rather than a beginning-to-end singing course. Therefore, if you’re a complete beginner, you’ll want to check out some of the more beginner-friendly online voice lessons in this list.
ArtistWorks teaches online music lessons for a range of instruments. They also have singing lessons and voice courses taught by instructors like renowned bluegrass vocalist Michael Daves, Grammy-winning country singer Lari White, and celebrity vocal coach Jeannie Deva.
ArtistWorks offers a unique learning experience called the Video Exchange Learning system: When you have a question about the course, simply upload a video recording, and your teacher will respond with video feedback in a day or two.
The three singing courses currently available on ArtistWorks are:
- Singing Lessons (with ArtistWorks Vocal School)
- Country Vocals (with Lari White)
- Bluegrass Vocals (with Michael Daves)
- Hundreds of self-paced online voice lessons.
- Access to 30+ video courses taught by world-renowned music artists. Each course includes a large library of beginner to advanced video lessons.
- Adjust video playback speed and practice along.
- Get answers to commonly asked questions in the Video Exchange Library, an archive of previous video correspondence between students and teachers.
- Learn proper singing technique, a variety of engaging vocal exercises, and how to practice.
- Learn how to breathe properly, manage your vocal health, and improve your vocal range, tone, and pitch.
- Learn harmony and group singing.
- Learn advanced techniques like riffs, runs, and embellishments.
- Learn how to handle auditions and improve your career.
- Be part of an active online community.
- Comprehensive music theory workshop included with membership.
- Beginner through advanced skill levels. All styles of singing are welcome.
With its Video Exchange Learning system, ArtistWorks provides a unique opportunity to interact with world-renowned vocal instructors and receive feedback on your singing.
This makes it a great fit for complete beginners as well as more experienced singers who want to work on the finer points of their vocal technique.
eMedia Singing Method
eMedia offers downloadable training methods for a variety of instruments. The eMedia Singing Method consists of over 230 beginner-to-intermediate interactive singing lessons taught by professional voice teacher, choral conductor, and soloist Ory Brown.
The method uses interactive feedback and performance evaluation technology to help you sing songs in tune and on the beat.
- Available for Mac or PC.
- Over 80 pop and folk songs, standards, and classical pieces covering all vocal ranges. Guitar chords are included.
- Interactive Feedback technology uses color-coded notes and arrows to indicate whether your singing is flat, sharp, or in tune.
- Performance Evaluation technology assesses your singing performance based on pitch and rhythm. The tool gives you a score telling you what percentage of the song you sang correctly.
- Track your progress by viewing a complete list of songs with your percentage scores.
- Songs and exercises can be played back with voice and/or piano accompaniment.
- Adjust song tempo and loop specific sections of music for easy practice.
- Learn concepts and skills like vocal physiology, singing technique, vocal warmups, sight reading, and ear training.
- Course delivery includes over 30 videos and animations, over 80 songs, interactive technology, flashcards, and review quizzes.
- Audio recorder feature lets you record and play yourself back so you can compare your version of a song with the instructor’s version.
The eMedia Singing Method is a fun and interactive way to learn how to sing by practicing songs. It’s an ideal fit for students who learn best with a hands-on and visual style of teaching.
Singeo offers online singing classes featuring three main parts: a step-by-step singing curriculum, a karaoke-style song library, and unlimited access to vocal instructors.
As a Singeo member, you’ll get access to weekly live lessons and Q&A sessions with your vocal coaches. During live sessions, you can submit a video of yourself singing and get personal feedback.
- Self-paced curriculum includes 10 levels designed to help you build confidence, gain strength, and develop vocal control. Level 1 is suitable for beginners and covers fundamental topics like breathing and the role of your vocal cords in learning to sing.
- Learn multiple vocal warm-up routines ranging from 5 to 20 minutes in length.
- Singeo’s song library includes 130+ popular songs with built-in practice tools. Songs are presented karaoke style, word by word.
- Genres include country, jazz, pop, R&B, electronic, funk, and Latin.
- Adjust song playback to suit your voice: For each song, you can choose from three different vocal ranges.
- Weekly live lessons and Q&A sessions with voice coaches. During live sessions, you can submit a video of yourself singing and get personal feedback.
- Get unlimited one-on-one support from their team of voice teachers. There are multiple options for getting help, including live Q&As, instant chat, and email.
- Enjoy exclusive courses and events taught by some of the world’s best singers, including Grammy winners.
- Progress-tracking features keep you motivated to practice.
- Supportive online community.
- Suitable for all ages.
Singeo offers some of the best online vocal lessons for people who want one-on-one support from instructors at an extremely affordable price.
In addition to its multiple options for getting one-on-one support, the step-by-step curriculum and karaoke-like song library make Singeo one of the most comprehensive online singing programs available.
Becoming a good singer takes time and proper practice, so there’s no better time than the present to get started. With the help of today’s online singing lessons, you can begin the journey with confidence and hear a noticeable difference in just a few weeks or months.